CANADIAN MENTAL HEALTH ASSOCIATION – YORK REGION VOLUNTEER PLACEMENT DESCRIPTION
Position title: Community Connections Camping Trip Volunteer
Reports to: Community Connections
Location: Provincial Park – Group Camping
MISSION STATEMENT OF AGENCY
As a leader and champion for mental health, CMHA facilitates access to the resources people require to maintain and improve mental health and community integration, build resilience and support recovery from mental illness.
The annual CMHA camping trip is an opportunity for clients to connect with a variety of clients and staff as well as engage therapeutically with nature to support their recovery. Through this trip clients are encouraged to participate in activities in a social environment. Volunteers have an opportunity to engage with clients in a meaningful way through supporting staff and activities.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Make people feel welcome and comfortable
- Offer clients informal support
- Attend a minimum of one and up to a maximum of four days at the camping location (up to a 5 hour shift per day)
- Assist staff to support clients with camping programming (i.e., cooking, beach activities, art, meditation, drumming, )
- Support camp set-up and take-down of equipment (i.e., tents, food, loading truck)
- Adhere to CMHA’s written volunteer policies and procedures
- Maintain confidentiality with respect to information about clients, family members and others
- Inform supervisor immediately of concerns regarding the welfare of clients
- Inform supervisor of issues that might interfere with the running of the camping program.
- Inform supervisor of issues that might interfere with this volunteer placement or performance of this volunteer role
- Have completed training and be aware of health and safety procedures
- Bring questions to staff as they arise
- Contribute to the development of the agency/program.
- Must be 19 years of age or
- Must be a current registered volunteer with CMHA-YRSS
- Willingness to assist clients & staff of program
- Works well with others and enjoys helping when needed
- Easily adapts to changing environments
- Respectful, compassionate
- Knowledgeable and resourceful
- Complete a Vulnerable Sector Screening
- Must be able to get to and from camp site independently (transportation not provided)
- The duties of the volunteer within the camp is dependent upon the volunteer’s training, experience and abilities
- Responsible for providing support and help within the campsite, while not being left alone in the sole position of care or duty over clients (camper or a group of campers)
- Preference given to those with previous camp experience
- Cost of camping and parking is provided. Travel cost is not
- Attend a minimum of one and up to a maximum of four days at the camping location during the month of July (up to a maximum 5 hour shift each day).
- Completion of general orientation and on-the-job training; to be arranged with Supervisor
- Attend / complete all Volunteer Training. including training in AODA, WHMIS, and Violence in the Workplace, Health & Safety and other training as required
- Attend program’s team meeting as needed
- Attend volunteer schedule as agreed to with
- Monthly Activity Forms identifying volunteer hours will be completed and submitted to the supervisor for signature at the end of each month
CMHA, York Region Branch supports the recovery of people with mental illness and promotes diversity in the workplace. We encourage consumers, women, aboriginal people, people with disabilities, and members of the LGBTQ, visible minority and immigrant communities to apply.
To request this posting in an alternate format or to request accommodation in the application process, contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
While we thank all candidates for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.