Flexible Supports and Peer Supports Program Volunteer (Korean Speaking)
Position Title: Flexible Supports and Peer Supports Program Volunteer (Korean Speaking)
MISSION STATEMENT OF AGENCY
Reports To: Flexible Supports and Peer Supports Program Staff
Location: York Region
Purpose: To assist in the group sessions with Korean community
Requirement: One day per week (Thursday/Friday) for 2 hours
Reviewed/Revised: September 2016
As a leader and champion for mental health, CMHA facilitates access to the resources people require to maintain and improve mental health and community integration, build resilience and support recovery from mental illness.
This volunteer supports group sessions at the Pleasant Valley Rest Home that are organized by CMHA staff, aimed at promoting the recovery and wellness of the Korean seniors community. Educational and social activity group sessions will alleviate the loneliness and social isolation among the seniors, and enhance their physical and mental health.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Communicate with group members in Korean language.
- Assisting the staff to develop culturally relevant group sessions.
- To assist the staff by translating the group sessions to Korean.
- To provide support and encouragement to enhance members participation.
- Follow health and safety procedures.
- To adhere to CMHA s written volunteer policies and procedures
- Maintains confidentiality with respect to information about clients, family members and others
- Inform supervisor immediately of concerns regarding the welfare of clients
- Inform supervisor of issues that might interfere with the running of the program.
- Inform supervisor of issues that might interfere with volunteer placement or performance
- Ability to communicate in Korean
- Good organizational & time management skills
- Ability to work with limited supervision following orientation
- Willingness to assist clients & staff of program
- Works well with others and enjoys helping when needed
- Easily adapts to changing environments
- Respectful, compassionate
- Knowledgeable and resourceful
- Experience working in a Korean community or with Seniors would be an asset
- Completion of general orientation; to be arranged with Supervisor
- Monthly Activity Forms identifying volunteer hours will be completed and submitted to the supervisor for signature at the end of each month
- A minimum of 6 month commitment
- Attend volunteer schedule as agreed with program manager
- Attend all required training
- Required to do Vulnerable Sector Screening Test
CMHA, York Region Branch supports the recovery of people with mental illness and promotes diversity in the workplace. We encourage consumers, women, aboriginal people, people with disabilities, and members of the LGBT, visible minority and immigrant communities to apply.
To request this posting in an alternate format or to request accommodation in the application process, contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
. While we thank all candidates for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.