Human Resources Volunteer
Position Title: Human Resources Volunteer
Reports To: Director of Human Resources / Volunteer Manager
Location: Newmarket Office
Purpose: Provide support to recruitment and implementation of new software systems
Revised/Revised: March 2017
As the nation-wide leader and champion for mental health, CMHA facilitates access to the resources people require to maintain and improve mental health and community integration, build resilience, and support recovery from mental illness.
Supervision and Support
- Working under the supervision of the Director of HR and Volunteer Manager, the Human Resources
Volunteer will be assisting with the implementation of two new electronic online Volunteer and HRIS systems (Charity Republic and Halogen 360 Performance), supporting the recruitment process, contributing to the health and safety of the organization, developing project plans, and
researching/reviewing training and service offerings to support the organization.
- Support the implementation of the new online web-based Charity Republic Volunteer Management Software System.
- Create detailed volunteer profiles for each volunteer, including contact information, position, employer, language and skill information, notes, hour tracking and achievements (e.g. police check, awards, training).
- Support the creation of scheduling portal for volunteers as well as the training of current and new volunteers on how to enter their hours into the new software system
- Assist with the staff, volunteer and student placement recruitment process by developing postings and entering into online recruitment tools, maintaining the electronic database, assessing candidates, preparing interview packages, participating in interviews, setting up candidates for required testing, assisting in the offer of employment and orientation process
- Work with the Director of HR, Volunteer Manager and Human Resources staff to support various projects
- Support the implementation of the new electronic Performance Appraisal system by assisting in data inputting and management and the preparation for staff training
- Assist with all Human Resources functions including workplace wellness; volunteer program;
- College/University/Bridge Program student placement programs, data management; new staff / student onboarding functions, filing, administrative duties, etc.
- Support the LEAN team with the on-boarding project
- The Human Resources Volunteer will have an opportunity to build their skills, knowledge, and experience, learn about Diversity, Inclusion, Equity and Human Rights.
This position is supervised by the Director of Human Resources and the Volunteer Manager. Any
questions, concerns or supports needed are to be brought to their attention. (Because of the changing nature of this position, other responsibilities and duties may be assigned.)
Because of the responsibilities of this position, preference will be given to applicants who have:
- Minimum 2-3 years work experience
- Understand and have some knowledge of all relevant legislation and regulations (ie. Employment Standards, Labour Relations, Human Rights, etc.)
Skills and Abilities:
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, research and project/records management skills
- Superior interpersonal, organizational, presentation, customer service and communication skills, both oral and written
- Ability to manage own time effectively along with the ability to organize multiple priorities
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment, demonstrate initiative and attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to make decisions according to established policies and procedures
- Ability to manage and secure confidential/sensitive/controversial information, and to exercise, demonstrate and apply discretion, tact, sound judgment when handling such information and when dealing with sensitive situations
- Computer proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access), Adobe, experience with HRIS is an asset
- Satisfactory vulnerable sector screening
- Completion of general orientation and on the job training – to be arranged with Supervisor
- Due to liability driving of clients is not permitted under any circumstances
- Monthly Activity Forms identifying volunteer hours will be completed and submitted to the supervisor for signature at the end of each month.
- Contact Supervisor regarding any changes to your schedule.
- Weekday hours between 8:30am – 4:30pm.
- A minimum of 6 months commitment.
CMHA, York Region Branch supports the recovery of people with mental illness and promotes diversity in the workplace. We encourage consumers, women, aboriginal people, people with disabilities, and members of the LGBT, visible minority and immigrant communities to apply.
To request this posting in an alternate format or to request accommodation in the application process, contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. While we thank all candidates for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.