Lets Connect Program Volunteer
Position Title: Lets Connect Program Volunteer
MISSION STATEMENT OF AGENCY
Reports To: Community Connections Staff
Location: CMHA Aurora
Purpose: To assist in the Lets Connect programming at Community Connections – Aurora
Reviewed/Revised: September 2015
As a leader and champion for mental health, CMHA facilitates access to the resources people require to maintain and improve mental health and community integration, build resilience and support recovery from mental illness.
DESCRIPTION OF ROLE
Let’s Connect is an initiative through CMHA-YR’s Community Connection program. The purpose of the initiative is to encourage clients to plan and attend social/ recreational events with other clients in the community. The program volunteer would take on a leadership role in the Let’s Connect program through providing information about the program, providing support with the Let’s Connect Google calendar, and planning/facilitating Let’s Connect events in the community.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- To adhere to CMHA’s written volunteer policies and procedures
- Maintains confidentiality with respect to information about clients, family members and others
- Inform supervisor immediately of concerns regarding the welfare of clients
- Inform supervisor of issues that might interfere with the running of the program.
- Inform supervisor of issues that might interfere with volunteer placement or performance of volunteer role
- Be aware of health and safety procedures
- Bring questions to staff as they arise
- Make people feel welcome and comfortable
- Offer clients informal support
- Greet members as they arrive at events
- Stay at event with the client until it is finished
- Navigate Google calendar and provide technical support to clients
- Experience leading recreational activities
- Experience coaching a sport or teaching a leisure activity would be an asset
- Knowledge of Mental Illness and experience in area of mental health is an asset
- Ability to work with limited supervision following orientation
- Willingness to assist clients & staff of program
- Works well with others and enjoys helping when needed
- Easily adapts to changing environments
- Respectful, compassionate
- Knowledgeable and resourceful
- Strong computer skills
- Ability to use Google Calendar
- Completion of general orientation and on-the-job training; to be arranged with Supervisor
- Monthly Activity Forms identifying volunteer hours will be completed and submitted to the supervisor for signature at the end of each month
- A minimum 6 month commitment
- Attend volunteer schedule as agreed with program manager
- Attend two events per week, if needed CMHA, York Region Branch supports the recovery of people with mental illness and promotes diversity in the workplace. We encourage consumers, women, aboriginal people, people with disabilities, and members of the LGBT, visible minority and immigrant communities to apply.
To request this posting in an alternate format or to request accommodation in the application process, contact us by email at email@example.com
. While we thank all candidates for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.