Position Title: Member Engagement Volunteer
Reports To: Community Connections Staff
Location: Aurora / Markham
Reviewed/Revised: October 2019
MISSION STATEMENT OF AGENCY As a nation-wide, voluntary organization, the Canadian Mental Health Association promotes the mental health of all and supports the resilience and recovery of people experiencing mental illness.
To assist in the Community Connections Drop In Program.
The drop-in program in Community Connections provides a safe and welcoming space for all members to connect with others and receive informal support in their recovery journey. Through meaningful engagement with staff and volunteers, members enhance social skills, community involvement and connect with relevant resources and programs within CMHA and other organizations.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- To adhere to CMHA’s written volunteer policies and procedures
- Maintains confidentiality with respect to information about clients, family members and others
- Support members to feel welcome and comfortable
- Greet members as they arrive, make sure that they sign in
- Provide orientation to new members
- Give members program schedules and keep members aware of program changes
- Support space and kitchen cleanliness, and inform supervisor when supplies are needed
- Be aware of health and safety procedures
- Assist program staff with activities and programming
- Contribute to the development of the agency/program
- Bring questions to staff as they arise
- Inform supervisor immediately of concerns regarding the welfare of clients
- Inform supervisor of issues that might interfere with the running of the program.
- Inform supervisor of issues that might interfere with volunteer placement or performance of volunteer role
- Good organizational & time management skills
- Ability to work with limited supervision following orientation
- Willingness to assist clients & staff of program
- Works well with others and enjoys helping when needed
- Easily adapts to changing environments
- Respectful, compassionate, friendly and empathetic
- Knowledgeable and resourceful
- Completion of general orientation and on-the-job training; to be arranged with Supervisor
- Attend relevant meetings as needed (including site meetings, staff supervision, etc.)
- Attend drop-in program weekly on agreed upon day(s) (12:45-3:45 in Aurora or Markham).
- Attend volunteer schedule as agreed with staff supervisor
- Current Vulnerable Sector Screening
- Monthly Activity Forms identifying volunteer hours will be completed and submitted to the supervisor for signature at the end of each month
- A minimum of 6 month commitment
CMHA, York Region Branch supports the recovery of people with mental illness and promotes diversity in the workplace. We encourage consumers, women, aboriginal people, people with disabilities, and members of the LGBTQ, visible minority and immigrant communities to apply. To request this posting in an alternate format or to request accommodation in the application process, contact us by email at email@example.com While we thank all candidates for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.