Position Title: Program Volunteer – Sunday Drop-In
Reports To: Community Connections Staff
Reviewed/Revised: October 2019
MISSION STATEMENT OF AGENCY
As a nation-wide, voluntary organization, the Canadian Mental Health Association promotes the mental health of all and supports the resilience and recovery of people experiencing mental illness.
To assist in the Community Connections Sunday Drop-In Program
The Peer-led drop-in program is open every Sunday from 1:00pm to 4:00pm and is facilitated by Volunteers. It’s a time to meet people and socialize. Activities are chosen by volunteers and participants together and include games, discussion topics and peer support as well as a group dinner once a month.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- To adhere to CMHA’s written volunteer policies and procedures
- Maintains confidentiality with respect to information about clients, family members and others
- Assist staff with developing, supporting, and/or delivering activities as per unique skills and experience
- Greet members as they arrive and ensure that they sign in
- Keep members aware of program changes
- Welcome guests and give them a program schedule
- Make people feel welcome and comfortable
- Provide orientation to new members
- Contribute to the development of the agency/program
- Responsibility for kitchen cleanliness, and informing supervisor when supplies are needed
- Aware of health and safety procedures
- Bring questions to staff as they arise
- Inform supervisor immediately of concerns regarding the welfare of clients
- Inform supervisor of issues that might interfere with the running of the program.
- Inform supervisor of issues that might interfere with volunteer placement or performance of volunteer role
- Good organizational & time management skills
- Ability to work with limited supervision following orientation
- Willingness to assist clients & staff of program
- Works well with others and enjoys helping when needed
- Easily adapts to changing environments and flexibility
- Respectful, compassionate
- Knowledgeable and resourceful
- Knowledge of Mental Illness and experience in area of mental health is an asset
- Experience with group facilitation is preferred
- ASIST training, Mental Health First Aid training is preferred
- Completion of general orientation and on-the-job training; to be arranged with Supervisor
- Complete a Vulnerable Sector Screening Check.
- Co-facilitate Sunday Drop-In 1:00pm – 4:00pm on a weekly basis
- Monthly Activity Forms identifying volunteer hours will be completed and submitted to the supervisor for signature at the end of each month
- Attend program’s team meeting as needed
- Attend volunteer schedule as agreed with staff supervisor
- A minimum of 6 month commitment
CMHA, York Region Branch supports the recovery of people with mental illness and promotes diversity in the workplace. We encourage consumers, women, aboriginal people, people with disabilities, and members of the LGBT, visible minority and immigrant communities to apply. To request this posting in an alternate format or to request accommodation in the application process, contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org While we thank all candidates for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.