Welcome Desk Volunteer
Position Title: Welcome Desk Volunteer
Reports To: Staff/Administrative Coordinator
Location: Aurora, Markham, and Newmarket Offices
Purpose: Greets and Assists clients and visitors of CMHA-YR
Revised/Revised: June 2015
As a leader and champion for mental health, CMHA facilitates access to the resources people require to maintain and improve mental health and community integration, build resilience and support recovery from mental illness.
As a first line of contact with the public, this individual must possess the ability to maintain a professional manner under all circumstances. The Welcome Desk Volunteer will provide a range of duties that include but are not limited to: greeting people arriving at the Aurora, Markham and Newmarket offices and providing required assistance; delivering a range of light reception duties and providing general information about CMHA-YR programs and services. This position requires that the individual work well with other members of the Welcome Desk Team.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
Supervision and Support
- To adhere to CMHA s written volunteer policies and procedures.
- Inform supervisor of functioning issues that might interfere with delivery of service.
- Contribute to the development of the agency/program Reception
- Greet members and guests to CMHA-YR
- Receive mail and sign for deliveries/supplies
- Maintain knowledge of CMHA-YR programs and how they are accessed
- Inform members of when the program is closing for the day by phone or by email
- Provide gentle reminders to members regarding expectations of the programs (e.g. housekeeping guidelines)
- Inform staff immediately of any concerns about the well-being of program members
- Ensure the daily member sign in attendance sheets are completed
- Complete word processing tasks as required including flyers, etc. (as skill level allows)
- Complete requests for photocopying and fax requests
- Ensure the agency brochures and other printed material is in sufficient supply and well displayed
- Create sign-up forms for member activities and sign-up members in person or by phone
- Follow-up reminders to members of events they have signed up for (either by phone or in person)
- Answer phone as required and transfer calls to the appropriate staff member. Ensure that the name of the caller and their contact information is provided to this staff member by email if their voice mailbox is reached.
- Address concerns or questions about this position to the Welcome Desk Team and staff support. (Because of the changing nature of this position, other responsibilities and duties may be assigned.)
Skills and Abilities:
- Training will be provided, however computer and or reception experience is an asset
- Good organizational & time management skills
- Ability to work with limited supervision following orientation
- Willingness to assist peers & staff
- Good oral and written communication
- Good interpersonal skills
- Ability to work with interruptions
- Good listening skills
- Assertiveness skills
- Good decision-making skills
- Detail oriented
- An interest in learning new skills.
- Completion of general orientation and on the job training to be arranged with Supervisor
- Due to liability driving of members is not permitted under any circumstances
- Monthly Activity Forms identifying volunteer hours will be completed and submitted to the supervisor for signature at the end of each month
- Contact Supervisor regarding any changes to your schedule
- Welcome Desk placement opportunities are 5 days/week 8:30am-4:30pm. This may be a shared placement.
- A minimum of 6 months commitment
CMHA, York Region Branch supports the recovery of people with mental illness and promotes diversity in the workplace. We encourage consumers, women, aboriginal people, people with disabilities, and members of the LGBT, visible minority and immigrant communities to apply.
To request this posting in an alternate format or to request accommodation in the application process, contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
. While we thank all candidates for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.