Community Homes for Opportunity (16+)
Community Homes for Opportunity (CHO) provides tenants with recovery oriented supportive housing that can offer up to 24/7 supports services to maintain housing stability.
CHO is based on a recovery model which focuses on a holistic, person-centred approach to mental health care. By encouraging increased responsibility in a home environment setting, clients are empowered to actively participate in their own planning and decision-making. CHO offers opportunities for tenants to enhance the quality of their daily living, their personal growth and development, and to improve life skills through participation in a variety of activities and programs.
Who is This Program Intended For?
- Those 16 years of age or above who are experiencing serious mental illness and who may require daily care.
- Be a recipient of OHIP at the time of application and be a resident of Ontario
- Have the ability to manage self-care and activities of daily living with some supervision
- Be willing to live in a congregate residential setting including shared bedrooms
Click here for additional eligibility information and program requirements
- Provide medical documentation that includes diagnostic information
- Ambulate independently; homes are not fully accessible and cannot support wheelchairs. Use of walkers will be assessed on a case-by-case basis
- Understand that medication compliance will be requested by Home Operators.
- Individuals with diabetes need to be able to monitor their own blood sugar levels and/or administer self-injections of insulin
- Be able to understand the rights of others, to integrate into the community within the home, and not pose a threat to themselves or others
- Disclose history of and potential for physical aggression or violence; will be assessed on a case-by-case basis
- Have a qualifying source of income and be able to provide proof
Additional eligibility criteria may be considered at the time of assessment. If a person is found eligible after an assessment with CMHA YR-SS, the CHO Home Operator will make the final determination of the Client’s suitability and acceptance into the home.
The Communities Home for Opportunity Program Offers
- One-on-one support from a CHO housing support worker to achieve and maintain housing stability
- An opportunity to improve and/or stabilize an individual’s physical and mental health
- A chance to foster independence and learn new skills within the community and home
- An ability to participate and integrate into community services and activities
Please Note: Services are flexible enough to be able to respond to the unique and changing needs of the individuals served.
Once a referral is received, a CHO Clinical Lead will follow up to book an assessment.
If you require a printable copy of this form, please contact us at 905-686-0159.