07 May Free Online and Virtual Mental Health Supports: BounceBack Program
On the 2 April, the Ontario government just announced additional support of online and virtual mental health supports, including our BounceBack program. This program is offered free of charge to help people build skills to manage mild to moderate anxiety, stress and other mental health challenges associated with this pandemic.
What is BounceBack?
BounceBack is a coach-supported, cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) based self-help program designed to help people 15 years of age and older experiencing symptoms of anxiety, low mood, stress, worry, depression, anger or irritability. In our program participants engage with our structured workbooks which provide them with tools to help manage symptoms of anxiety and low mood. Along with the workbooks, individuals also receive telephone coaching (available in 15 languages) and online videos to enhance their engagement with our program.
How can BounceBack help you during COVID-19?
BounceBack can help people who are experiencing pandemic-related stresses by helping them to:
- Challenge unhelpful thinking
- Increase structure and healthy activity in their current living situations
- Help to sustain health and well-being over the coming months and into the future
- Foster skill development, provide motivation and monitor progress
- A consultation with a coach, that will help the participant choose from 20 different workbook options such as, Understanding Worry and Stress, Overcoming Sleep Problems, Changing Extreme and Unhelpful Thinking, Why Do I Feel So Bad? and 10 Things You Can Do to Feel Happier Straight Away. Short format booklets are also available for those with lower attention spans, who are less motivated, looking for less intensive interventions and for youth aged 15 to 18.
- Three to six telephone coaching sessions
- Ten BounceBack videos which include tips on how to manage mood, sleep better, build confidence, increase activity, problem solve, live more healthily and more.
How do I start?
There are two ways to access the BounceBack program including:
Option One: Telephone Coaching and Workbooks
Hours of service: Monday to Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., Weekends 9:00 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Available for access after being referred by a primary health care practioner (family doctor or nurse practioner) or through self-referral by completing an online referral form and providing the name of their primary care provider, who maintains responsibility for their participant’s overall well-being during their time in the program.
- Once the referral is submitted, the participant is contacted by a BounceBack coach within five business days to conduct an information session about the program and ensure BounceBack is the right fit for their needs.
Option Two: BounceBack Videos
Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- No referral required to participate.
- Participants can start watching the videos anytime at www.bouncebackvideo.ca (access code: bbtodayon).
- Available in English, French, Mandarin, Cantonese, Punjabi, Arabic and Farsi.
What participants are saying:
“I found the workbooks particularly helpful. It was reassuring to read about others who had the same or similar thoughts and feelings, especially since anxiety and depression are pretty isolating. I continue to use some of the activities from the workbooks.” ~ BounceBack participant
“BounceBack was a great experience for me. The program provided tools and insights to help me overcome the challenges I was facing. I feel stronger and more confident after the program. I feel ready to face challenges and overcome them.” ~ BounceBack participant
Other important information
This program is not a psychotherapy, counselling or therapy program, but rather provides people with the skills needed to help them monitor and manage their anxiety, low mood and other symptoms over the coming weeks and months.
If you need any other supports or would like to know about programs around you that may be helpful during this time please contact ConnexOntario by calling 1-866-531-2600.