17 Aug Community Connections: Virtual Art Wall
Art with Heart at Home
Being creative together offers us an opportunity to connect with others, our environment and ourselves. This group is meant to take what you have available around your home to make and share art. Art with Heart at Home is a supportive community, where we share the joy and delight of creating with one another.
Use a simple pattern-making technique to practice mindfulness. All you need is a pen and/or pencil, paper and an openness to trying some drawing.
Along with participants saying that these groups have been great for their mental health, they also expressed that:
- It allowed them to focus their minds on something positive and productive.
- It was a fun challenge and an opportunity to step outside of the usual activities of one’s day.
- It reduced feelings of isolation.
- They enjoyed seeing and learning from other people’s work.
Additionally, this feedback builds on the benefits of engaging in creative activities from occupational therapy literature, which say that making can:
- Create a sense of joy, flow and meaning.
- Be relaxing and engaging.
- Improve self-esteem, providing individuals with control over their decisions and a feeling of accomplishment.
- Allow members to share experiences and advocate for change.
Creations from Art with Heart at Home & Mindful Doodles
Description: Shapes and patterns that appeared in my mind while I was doing my doodle.
Artist: Elizabeth Saville
Title: Donuts and Submarines
Getting Involved in Art with Heart at Home
If you are interested in joining this art group, you can register through the forms on the Community Connections virtual calendar, which comes out on a weekly basis on our website or through email updates. CLICK HERE to learn more.