22 Jun World Suicide Prevention Day
The Canadian Mental Health Association York South Simcoe branch joins people with lived experience of a mental health issue, their families, policy makers, advocates, researchers and others who come together every year on Sept. 10 to commemorate World Suicide Prevention Day.
More than 800,000 people worldwide – including about 4,000 Canadians – die by suicide every year.
World Suicide Prevention Day is presented annually by the International Association for Suicide Prevention and is aimed at spreading awareness and breaking the silence about this issue. This year’s theme, ‘Connect, Communicate, Care’ captures the heart of suicide prevention.
CMHA branches across the province, including this one, work daily to share strategies to prevent the tragedy of suicide.
We provide suicide awareness training such as Mental Health First Aid and Responding with Respect workshops. In addition, we have a Family and Caregiver Education group to increase your knowledge, gain skills, and learn practical strategies from other people’s experiences. More information about these services can be found at www.cmha-yr.on.ca.
If you are in crisis, please contact 1-855-310-COPE (2673). This Community Crisis Response Service is available 24-hours-a-day, 7 days-a-week.
Though not all suicides can be prevented, some strategies can help reduce the risk, such as:
- Seeking treatment, care and support for mental health concerns — and building a good relationship with a doctor or other health professionals
- Staying connected with a care team or community-based program to help manage stress and monitor for thoughts of suicide
- Building social support networks, such as family, friends, a peer support or support group, or connections with a cultural or faith community
- Learning good coping skills to deal with problems, and trusting in coping abilities
- Universal prevention strategies recommended by the World Health Organization also include increasing access to health care and responsible media reporting.
For more information or to learn more about the suicide prevention or positive mental health, contact CMHA York South Simcoe at 905-841-3977.